Thanks for visiting my blog which is all about my coastal walk round Islay in aid of the Marine Conservation Society.

I have now completed my walk but you can still sponsor me by visiting my online sponsor page :

Sunday, 29 July 2007

An Cladach to MacArthur's Head

MacArthur's Head lighthouse
I was undecided whether to do this stretch when I looked out of the window on Saturday morning to see a disappointingly cloudy day, but my rucsack was packed and I was psychologically geared up for it, so I set off and parked near Lossit Farm road end. I had already walked from here to the bothy, and from Ardtalla to MacArthur's Head, but had not done the bit inbetween, so the plan was to do the walk and stay the night in the bothy. I was looking forward to it, although it has to be said I didn't relish the thought of the 5 miles or so to the bothy with a heavy rucsack. 'No stopping to look at little brown jobs,' I told myself as I hauled the rucsack onto my bag. 'The only thing you stop for is if a Wallcreeper decides to take a break from balmier climes and head for the cliffs on the Sound.' I managed to stick to my resolve pretty well, I thought, stopping only long enough to pop another humbug into my mouth and managing to resist stopping every time an unidentified flying object crossed my path. I reached the bothy at around midday, by which time the weather had improved dramatically and I began to wish I hadn't brought so many clothes. Having dropped off the rucsack and eaten a bit of lunch, I carried on to MacArthur's Head, noticing a purple creepy flower on the beach that I didn't recognise. Any ideas anyone? Skullcap? There was also an almost perfect circle formed in the rocks about halfway between the bothy and the lighthouse, but as it was raining at that point, I didn't take a photo and then couldn't find it again on the way back. Back at the bothy I was relieved to have covered the two miles I had come to do (I walked 14 miles in 2 days for the sake of those 2 miles!) Now I could relax. I cooked sausages and pottered around for the rest of the day. Donald James called in with a trout for my breakfast. Thanks DJ! It was with some reluctance that I set off on Sunday morning. Having woken with the sun at 5.30 am, I was ready to set off at 9 am and was back at the car for 12 noon. I took it easier on the way back and paused to watch a family of Spotted Flycatchers and Willow Warblers. Despite the long walk, this was definitely one of the highlights of the coastal walk.


Anonymous said...

Havіng read this I belіevеԁ іt was eхtremely enlightening.
I аppгесiate уou fіnding
the time and effort tо рut this іnformаtive aгtiсle tοgether.
Ι once again finԁ myself spending a ѕignіfіcant amоunt of tіme both reading anԁ commenting.
But so what, it was stіll ωorthwhile!

Alsο vіsit my homеρаge ::
My webpage - car insurance dallas

Anonymous said...

Thіs paragraρh gives clear iԁeа in supρoгt
of the neω ρeople of blоgging, that rеally
how to dо blοgging and sitе-building.

Visіt my web-sіte; Tens Machine

Anonymous said...

Thanκ уou for the ausρicious writeuρ.
It in fаct ωas a amusеment acсоunt it.

Look aԁvanceԁ to far addeԁ agreeable from you!
By thе ωaу, how could we communicate?

My homepage :: roofers Tulsa